Thursday 14 March 2013

My choice of genre, song and artist

Through looking at all my research I have done in the last couple of weeks, I have decided to chose the acoustic genre for my music video. I believe the acoustic genre is very relaxed and you can have a mix of themes, as live music, narrative and abstract filming has all been shown in the music videos I have looked at. I also didn't really like the idea of having dance within my video; however this style is mainly shown in pop songs or R&B such as ‘Single Ladies’ by Beyonce.
Acoustic music is when the artist uses instruments solely or primarily through the acoustic means instead of using technology, or electronic instruments. The concept of "acoustic music" appeared after the introduction of electric instruments, such as the electric guitar.
Following the increasing popularity of the television show MTV Unplugged during the 1990s, acoustic performances by musical artists who usually use electronic instruments became referred to as "unplugged" performances.
Below are some statistics from the two music videos I looked at – ‘Give me love’ by Ed Sheeran and ‘Only Love’ by Ben Howard. I looked at the statistics of these videos to give me a rough idea of who I can direct my music video towards. It is evident here that Females between the ages of 13 – 24 are my main demographic and therefore this is this will be my target audience.




When looking into acoustic songs I could use for my music video I had a thought that I didn’t want to do a mainstream song but an original one. I thought of my friend Ollie Sloan who has been writing music and singing since the age of 11. The initial recordings he made featured just him singing and playing piano, but lately has introduced full band songs.

Ollie has agreed to let me use one of his songs and himself in my music video.


After discussing many options, the song I am using is called ‘Just because’. ‘Just because’ is about two ex’s who bump in to each other one day and he wants to know how his ex is however the last thing he wants to know is that she has a new boyfriend and is in love. After listening to the song many times, the catchy lyrics and upbeat melody makes me think of the many narratives I could use. I believe this will be a great song to put a story to in my music video.


The girl I will be using as the ‘ex’ will be Tayla Lovegrove who has participated in theatre since the age of 14, because of this, I know she will be a good actress and take the filming seriously as well as conveying the emotions I would like to portray.

I am really excited to start working with Ollie and Tayla and storyboard the ideas we have and put them to the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment